[Spridgets] rust in outer sill

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Sun Jul 13 07:54:36 MDT 2008

Andy,
Depends on how you define "major tear-down", and how original you want
it to look.  If it's done wrong, it'll stick out like the proverbial
sore thumb.  The key consideration is how you plan to connect the outer
sill to the A post, and the rear quarter (the seam between the door
opening and the rear wheel arch).  Since both seams are structural
elements, they are important.
I now pre-fit and attach the lower sections of the A post and rear
quarter to the outer sill, before attaching the outer sill to the tub.
Then, you will have two horizontal butt seams to make....yeah, you CAN
lap them (easier, by far), but it's tidier with a butt seam.
On my latest project, I got the butt welds laid down so beautifully that
they hardly needed any filler to smooth them over.  Unfortunately, the
arc of the panel, from top to bottom, was interrupted ever so slightly
by the new section that it shows, when viewed from the right angle, and
I'm going to have to re-configure both areas over the up-coming winter.
As far has having one of the local boiler makers do your
welding....probably not a great idea, unless the guy has done it before.
Welding plate & structural steel is far different, and FAR easier than
welding thin, very easily warped automotive sheet steel.
Bud Osbourne