[Spridgets] rust in outer sill

Frank Clarici spritenut at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 18:21:53 MDT 2008

Andy Webster wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have some  rust in  my LH-outer sill, along the bottom edge at the front.
> It's more than just fizz really and a 2 inch x 3 inch section is starting to
> look particularly nasty.
> I am wondering whether the outer sill can be replaced without a major
> teardown,
Replacing the whole sill is a major teardown,
Patching a 3" square hole is much easier.
As long as the hole is not at the edge but if it is, that can be patched
too, it just takes a little more fabrication to get the curve and/or
bend over to look correct.
If the rest of the rocker is in good condition, I would just pick up
some metal and make a patch.
Cur the rust out completely, try to make a nice square hole, cut a piece
of sheetmetal about 1 inch larger both ways from your hole,(1/2 inch
each side) now put a sheetmetal screw in the middle of it to act as a
handle, fish the patch inside your rocker hole. You might have to cut a
couple slits in the rocker to get the patch inside. Now hold the screw
and pull the patch tight to the inside of the rocker.
A couple more screws (self drillers) to hold it in place, tack weld it,
remove the screws, weld up the holes, finish welding around the patch
and a skim of bondo over the whole thing and it's done in a couple hours.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ