[Spridgets] Metal repair*

dlancer7676 at comcast.net dlancer7676 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 06:31:54 MDT 2008

I went to a local metal supplier and bought a sheet, about 4 x 6 or so, of sheet metal, 18 guage.   From that you can cut any shape or size you want.  I suspect you could get a smaller piece, since they cut this one for me from a larger sheet of metal.  i was replacing a lot of metal so needed a bigger sheet.

If you have someone who is a really good welder, the butt weld is the choice here because a lap weld, where you crimp the piece to fit into the hole, provides a place for water to hang out.  That is a bad thing. Another option available now is to crimp the piece to fit and use an epoxy that is available for patching.  You fit the patch, drill holes around the perimeter to accept pop rivets, lather the patch edges up with the epoxy, then pop rivet the patch into place.  It comes with a syringe that has a special nozzle that mixes the epoxy as it travels through the nozzel.  I used that on my bonnet and it turned out very well.  The epoxy seals the gap between the metal created by the lap joint.  bondo over the patch and finishing created a non-perceptable joint.  I got that at a paint and body supplier.

Of course, with either method, you have to be absolutely sure that the rust that you are SEEING is all the rust you have, which has not been my experience.  Rust is sort of like mice. If you see one, count 20.    8^)

--David C.
WOULD A FLY WITHOUT WINGS BE CALLED A WALK?

From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747 at earthlink.net>