[Spridgets] global warming

Hal Faulkner hal at katemuir.com
Thu Mar 6 18:14:02 MST 2008

Bill et al,

It is more accurate to consider the total number of "ship hours" times "ship
pollution rate" versus "total car hours" times "car pollution rate".  By
comparing the hourly pollution generated by one ship to the hourly pollution
generated by one car you have avoided a rational discussion of the issue.
Remember, "lies, damn lies, and statistics!"
I don't pretend to have the figures at hand (nor do I have the time to
research them) but the real solution is to reduce wherever you can.
If we all replaced our A-series (and any other 1950s technology)engines with
hybrid technology we would be doing something positive, or would we? One
must also consider the (admittedly one-time) effect of producing,
delivering, and installing those hybrid systems, not to mention the problem
of disposing of all those A-series engines.  One simple measure of pollution
is carbon "footprint", it seems to me that driving less is a viable method
of reducing carbon footprint.  Driving a Sprite at, say, 30 mpg has a
smaller carbon footprint than driving an SAV at 15;  however, some measures
might show the SAV to be "cleaner."  Don't forget that even a pure electric
vehicle has to get that electricity frome somewhere, and that means some
form of pollution at the point of generation (unless, of course, the vehicle
is pure solar.  Riding a bicycle is even cleaner and has a smaller carbon
footprint as well.
And WTF are all those ships doing in Long Beach harbor anyway?  Delivering
more cars, tvs vidiot games, cheaply made clothes, cell phones, iPods, and
tools made of dung fired steel bound for Horrible Fright.  All of it on a
path (long or short) to a dump.  Reduce, reuse, recycle.
Rant if you must.  But let's not have a knee-jerk reaction infering that
nothing can be done.  Let's have a rational assesment of the situation and
suggestions for solutions that can be discussed, modified, and implemented.

Hal