[Spridgets] Second cool drive

Guy Weller guy.weller at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 07:51:36 MST 2008

I am sure Frank, and others, will have their favourite lists of what spares
they think should be carried.

But the real truth would come from analysis of what breakdowns have actually
occurred in normal travel that were, or could have been fixed "if only I had
XXX in on-board my spares"

i.e.. In the last 45,000 miles I have had problems with:
Flat battery (twice) - solved with jump leads.
Leaking hose to radiator connection - solved with epoxy resin (JB weld) at
least sufficient to get home.
Broken throttle cable - solved by shortening outer cable and refitting.
Faulty voltage regulator - swapped batteries with a Spridget friend to get
home. Then replaced system with an alternator.
Faulty fuel pump - "fixed" by thumping it (26 times in 75 mile journey
home!)

On the basis of the above faults, I should only carry: Jump leads, JB Weld,
water bottle, spare throttle cable, spare fuel pump.

So the long list of "useful" sounding stuff including wire, duck tape, spare
bulbs, condenser, brake fluid, oil, fuel, distributor, rotor arm .....etc
etc, that I do carry is actually just a waste of space.

Alternatively, there is also the "black magic list" approach. If I carry a
spare distributor then the one fitted to the car will never fail. If I leave
it behind just one time then that is when the thing will disintegrate into
1000 little pieces!

Guy