[Spridgets] Kill switch

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Thu Oct 16 17:23:02 MDT 2008

> The big resistor is there to stop the rectifier diodes in the alternator
> frying/self destructing when the switch is thrown with the engine running
> at an
> rpm above the alternator kick-in rpm.  The resistor is a biggy.

This makes a lot of sense.

So what happens when you rev the engine up and turn off the key, which is
exactly the same situation?  The alternator is alternating with nowhere to
dump the current.  Does the ignition also have a shunt?  Or is the
alternator already protected in some way that makes the resistor
unnecessary?  If so, this is an "old mechanic's tale."  My local speed shop
has never heard of a 6-pole kill switch.  They just use an ordinary battery
switch with the alternator included.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
Long Island, NY