[Spridgets] Hope...for GM?

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Wed Oct 29 18:59:56 MST 2008

You know, I was a GM fan. At one time they built cars that people liked. I
liked that old 72 Chevelle I had. I liked the old 74 Nova with 350 and 411
posi. No, they were not Bimmers, but neither was their price tag. Somewhere
along the line, the MBAs got control or something, because it seemed to
become more important to be able to predict a profit than to actually sell a
car. What people wanted to buy became secondary to what GM wanted to build
and what GM wanted to build seemed to be determined by bean counters. Case
in point; in the mid-90's GM decided to bring back convertible Firebirds and
Camaros. Great, a definite market. Then someone started running some
theoretical numbers and decided that if they sold too many of the wrong
models, it would have a negative effect on their Corporate Automotive Fuel
Economy rating. Therefore, you could get the Firebird with a Chevy 350 and
AC, but you could not get the Camaro with the Chevy 350 and AC. You could
get AC with a 305 or a 350 without AC, but not both. Did it work? Who knows?
Who cares?

I was trying not to mention the Aztek, but who thought THAT was a good idea?
David Lieb