[Spridgets] Hurricane Ike.....those in peril on the sea

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Fri Sep 12 20:08:55 MDT 2008

While I'm concerned about the residents of low lying areas in the path
of the storm, as well as for the lives and property of those on higher
ground, but who will still be on the receiving end of the wind and rain
from the storm; the ones who REALLY need our prayers are those 22
crewmen aboard the disabled bulker (freighter), 90 miles off shore.
With a cargo of petroleum coke (pretty low-density stuff), their ship's
center of gravity will be significantly higher than would be optimum in
such weather.  And, with no propulsion power, they'll have no way of
preventing their ship from lying broadside to the waves.  Talk about
terrifying......
One of the verses from Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund
Fitzgerald" sums it up perfectly: "Does anyone know where the love of
God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"  At best, it's
gonna be a very long night for those guys.  May God show them his love.
Bud Osbourne