[Spridgets] Pull the tranny or not? Opinions wanted

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:12:27 MDT 2009

I've done it both ways too and I will NEVER AGAIN pull just the engine!
It's MUCH easier to pull both and the take the tranny off the back of the
engine once it is out.

Putting the engine back in with the transmission already in place is NOT fun
and it is really easy to booger up the pilot bushing for the tranny input
shaft. There is barely enough room betweein the radiator cross flow tube and
the front crank pulley to get the engine in. It's also much harder to line
up the engine mounts that way unless you take them completely off when
removing the engine.

It just ain't that hard to drain the tranny (inspect your tranny oil too!!),
put the drive shaft back into the tranny and put the tranny mount bolts in.
You just have to jostle things a little until the bolts slip in.  You don't
have to pull the seats and carpets. You just need to lift the carpet off the
tranny tunnel and remove the shifter. 9/16 bolts on the tranny mounts. Two
underneath. One on each side of the shifter.

On reassembly, take the drive shaft flanges at the rear U-joint appart. Then
once the tranny tail piece is part way into the tunnel you can reach down
through the shifter hole, grab the driveshaft and slide it into the back of
the tranny. Then you can slide everything in the rest of the way and bolt it
all back up again.

As you start lifting the engine and tranny out, move it about 2 inches and
then undo the two bolts on the clutch slave. let it hang down on the
flexible line. That way you won't need to bleed the clutch when you are
done.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 6:47 PM, David Booker <tncarnut1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My friend Dave as well as others in the MG club have told me I should not
> pull
> the tranny with the engine unless I need to.  To recap - I've gotta yank
> the
> lump in order to do a clutch job.  It never even occurred to me o leave it
> in
> there, but they say hey've done it many times and it really is no bog deal
> get it all lined back up and in place after the clutch is bolted up.  I
> have a
> massive hoist and plenty of help, so that's not an issue.
>
> So what is the prevailing preference?  If leaving it in there is much
> easier
> (which means I would not have to pull the seats and carpets, etc.) and if
> the
> tranny is not leaking out the tailshaft (still need to check that one by
> shining a ligh into the tunnel from the rear, maybe?) what do you all
> think?
>
> Frank, you've probably pulled more than most of the rest of us combined -
> what
> do you think?
>
>  - David Booker
> '71 Midget up in the air and hoodless
> Long Island

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein