[Spridgets] "muffler bearing"

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 23:12:11 MST 2009

You may not use the words "Muffler" or "Silencer"...   I have the rights for
both of them from all the way back in the 11th century (1230 AD).

[Origin uncertain. Prob. ult. < Middle French moufle mitten (see MUFFLE
n.2); with the sense perh. cf. quot. 1568 s.v. MUFF n.1 Perh. cf. Old French
enmofler (c1230; cf. ENMUFFLE v.). French mofler is not attested in this
sense (1648 in Godefroy with sense to stuff). Cf. later MUFFLE n.1, MUFFLE
n.2
With sense 5 cf. earlier MUFF v.4, MUFF GLASS n., MUFFLED a. 5.]

1. trans.  a. Of a person: to wrap or enfold (another person, a face, etc.)
in some kind of covering, esp. to provide concealment, warmth, or protection
from the weather. Freq. with up; occas. with round. Also refl.

a1450 Generides (Helm.) 7055 She mufled hir face hir to desgyse That noon
shuld know hir in noo wise. ...

4. trans.  a. To cover or wrap up (oars, a drum, a bell, etc.) so as to
deaden the sound; to deaden the sound of (something). Also fig.

1761 Brit. Mag. 2 500 They laid all their oars across, except two in each
boat, which they muffled with baize, to prevent their being heard at a
distance.

5. first use of the words silencer and muffler as pertains to automobiles is
1895.

If you wish, I will sell you the rights to use either or both words once in
an email for $50.   Either alone in an email is $25.   Repeated use after
the first use is $15 each event. Further... you must acknowledge (source)
the terms at the bottom of any document in which you use them as follows:

"Muffler" and or "Silencer", c1230, Used by permission... all rights
reserved.

Cheers!!
Jim - Awaiting the blizzard in Kansas....

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM, WFO Herb <froggi60 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't know if you're pulling my leg, but I can see how a person could at
> least copyright the term.
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM, CosmicMag1380 <cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Better add "muffler bearings".  Most places have them on sale for the
> > holidays.
> >
> > Careful Herb, you need my expressed written permission to use the term
> > "muffler bearings" as I copyrighted it back in the late 60s. Also
> > applied for a patent on it too! It is a real bearing made from a hard
> > rubber substance, whose compounds and manufacturing processes are a
> > trade secret, that noticeably reduces the amount of noise emanating
> > from the bearing as it is under load!!!
> >
> > --

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein