[Spridgets] Racing Bugeye on eBay

JLC breton48 at live.com
Thu Feb 19 18:48:35 MST 2009

Thanks Ron... I also have a 201K now, and as I foolishly retired a few
months before the crash, that hurts!

I am not going to race again, otherwise I might try to buy my old car back!
I know the whole history of that car, right from new. When I sold the car, I
gave the buyer a very comprehensive documentation about the car racing
history (SCCA and VARA), names and details of the previous three owners, the
British Heritage certificate, invoices/bills for most if not all race parts
fitted since 1997, original owner manual, etc. Don't know if that and all
the spare parts I had are still with that car though. It was fun to race,
but in VARA my 948 cc Bugeye was in the same group as Bugeyes with 1100 cc
and even 1275 cc engines. My Bugeye was as good as any and better than most
in turns, but the bigger engined Bugeyes were leaving me in the dust on the
straights!

If my memory serves me right, at Buttonwillow in So Cal, I could just touch
100 mph down a long straight with the right tuning, 3.9 welded axle, Turbo
Blue 108 octane racing gas, and the tach needle way past what a street
Bugeye would ever see! I had three axles (all welded) for that car. One was
3.9, one 4.22, and I forgot the ratio for the last axle. I found the car
quite easy to race with the welded axles, provided you remembered not to
lift in a turn.  Only trouble with the welded axles was pushing the car
around in the pits! Last time I raced the car was November 10/11, 2001, at
Las Vegas. I do not know if the two (or three?) subsequent owners ever raced
the car.

JLC