[Spridgets] Huh???

JLC breton48 at live.com
Wed Feb 25 08:30:05 MST 2009

Drew wrote:
Even the Library of Congress says Benz(referring to Cugnot as a military
vehicle), not the US.  Another site said the Benz was the first automobile,
yet the Cugnot was the first auto crash!?

Right... the three-wheeled steam powered Cugnot vehicle was designed to pull
a cannon, and crashed within a few hundred feet the first time it was on a
road! I think most would agree Benz was the inventor of the automobile.

The early English car manufacturers were not helped by the fact a car driver
needed a man with a red flag to walk in front of the vehicle as a warning to
impending catastrophe such vehicle was bound to unleash! I think the red
flag law lasted at least till 1903?

JLC