[Spridgets] MG 2009

Larry Macy lmacy at phillymgclub.com
Thu Jun 18 18:26:25 MDT 2009

Wyoming was a hold out and we had $$$ from mineral mining. I am not
sure how long the state legislature fought it, but they gave in in the
end.

Somewhere I read that one of the justifications for the lower limit
was saving lives. Then a study showed that in the big wide open states
in the midwest, WY included, more lives were lost due to people
falling asleep from being bored. The trade off was about equal.

Now as a side note, I started this. Now, I made a joke about Theresa
not wanting to do this. The reality is that my Midget needs a motor
"refreshing" and I wouldn't trust it. I also added a side trip to WY
to play a round of golf in memory of my Dad and step Mother. That
meant I had to haul golf clubs, in addition to traveling nearly 5000
miles in 2 weeks.

A couple years ago THeresa and I went to Stowe (British Invasion), Mt
Washington, Nantucket and home in about 10 days. Top down the entire
drive. Ended up about 2600 miles. She never complained. She would do
this, but I don't trust the motor to make it, and I have no place to
haul clubs. I will have a "refreshed" motor in 2011 and be driving to
WI for Midget 50th.

BTW, My ex and I did the whole Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge thing and we
had 4 folks in Midget and a motorcycle. Camped every night. About 2700
miles. Including camping gear and replacing an alternator in the
pouring rain outside Monticello.

Then there was the BABE rallye.

So I can do it, Just not this time.

Larry

On Jun 18, 2009, at 6:32 PM, Kitterer Bob wrote:

> That was true for only about three months, Arizona, Nevada an I
> think Montana were hold outs .  There was a very good article in R&T
> 6-12 months later on the effects of the 55 limit.  The bottom line
> was that the drop in gas usage was the result of people driving
> less.  This was true in both the states that adopted the 55 limit
> and the hold outs were some had no speed limits.
>
> Bob Kitterer
>
> 1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
> 1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
> 2000 Miata Special Edition
>
> On Jun 18, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Billy Zoom wrote:
>
>>> justification of our 55MOPH
>>> national limit
>> It wasn't ALL states...just those that wanted to keep their block-
>> grant
>> money.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
lmacy at phillymgclub.com
Board Member at Large
Philadelphia MG Club

One of these days, you'll look back on all this, and plow into a
parked car.