[Spridgets] Interesting ( to me ! ) - was spitting carbs...

Dave G. kk7ss at verizon.net
Thu Jun 25 12:42:18 MDT 2009

Bear in mind that the DPO's of The Beast used bits from a number of
different years to put it together...

Recap... Timing set, valve lash set, carburretion set, idle great but
running cool and spitting back at steady rpm's above ~2300...

Thanks to Bill M, who generously gave me a manifold vacuum take-off
nut, I hooked up my vacuum guage.
First thing indicated was low vacuum at idle ~14", a possible
indication of bad timing.
I moved the distributor until vacuum was at 20" and, presto, no more
spitting back at 2500rpm (haven't taken it higher yet!)
Checking the timing mark (a groove across the outside *not* a dimple)
on the crankshaft pulley with the indicator on the timing chest cover
showed that the mark was now off by ~9 degree's!!

Either this was not the original pulley or something else is wrong!!

--
Dave G.   KK7SS
'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA

If I wake up in the morning, and I hurt, it means that I'm still
alive !!