[Spridgets] Bugeye Roll Bar - raising the dead thread

Robert Duquette robertduquette at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 5 09:09:21 MST 2009

My song was a live version of Chuck Berry's "Bye Bye Johnny" done by the
Stones.

To add to the debate, I once heard of a guy who stole a Midget, went for a
joy ride, hit gravel over asphalt on a corner, slid into a curb sideways and
flipped onto someone's lawn.  Unhurt, but apprehended.  If the car had had a
rollbar, he might have escaped.  :)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Andrew Payne" <andrewpayne at intrex.net>

Dear list,

I was going to stay out of this as I got basically the same thread going
several months ago.  I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm finding
that is par for the course on this list;)   First off, there were two of us
discussing our experiences with rollovers, and I believe that my experience
may be the one Lester was remembering.  My wife was not with me, but other
than that, pretty accurate.  The main points were about 25mph (definitely
second gear) twisty, washboard gravel road, instant tire deflation
mid-corner, embankment, 180 degree rollover, roll bar, now every time I hear
"Bohemian Rhapsody" I fell like someone is walking over my grave.  Yes,
tinydog, I was a teenager at the time, but I doubt that many on the list
would be confident of their skills with three tires, limited traction, after
a spin induced by the rock that ripped the tire, with only 10 feet in which
to correct all of that.  The cop agreed, once he saw I was humbled, he did
not have anything else to say.  I'm not saying my skills were perfect, just
that sometimes things change fast.  Very fast.

While I think Bill is right that defensive driving is key, his "it'll
help a little, yeah, it makes ya feel better, but basically my belief is "If
you crash, you DIE" comment is not always true.  I crashed, I survived,
unhurt, due to a roll bar and seatbelts. Period.  It does not make you
invincible, but increase your odds.  I told my dad that Midgets were too
short to flip, he insisted on a roll bar, I lived.  It was in the car when I
bought it about 18 years ago, and it still is, scuffs and all.  I too am a
little odd, but I don't ride a motorcycle because I don't ride anything that
falls over when you let go of it.

I did buy the bar for my Miata.  It came from Hard Dog, nice guys.  They
have a shop name Bethania Garage, just north of Winston-Salem in NC I picked
it up and saved some money.  They run a good shop and seem to take real
pride in their work.

Drew