[Spridgets] Pinky did I foul the plugs by flooding or is it something el...

David Lieb dbl at chicagolandmgclub.com
Mon Mar 9 12:43:53 MST 2009

>>  I noticed no difference in performance
> Why would you?

If you look at the math involved, you will realize that 25,000 volts at the
spark plug is about 2,500 times the nominal 10VDC primary voltage of the
coil. 1VDC difference on the primary side of the coil equates to about 2500V
difference at the spark plug. Even with perfectly matched and clean points,
there is more resistance than with a Pertronix, let alone a few miles down
the road, never mind the impact of the condensor.

OTOH, if you are still running a 0.025" gap on your plugs, you will not see
a whole lot of difference. And, if you open the gap too much, the spark will
find alternate paths to ground inside the cap because it simply wasn't
designed to prevent that. However, if you run a 123/Mini, the Bosch cap and
rotor should allow you to run significantly larger gaps and get a detectable
benefit from a high-output coil.
David Lieb