[Spridgets] Rear wheel bearing help and Questions..

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sat Mar 14 17:28:32 MST 2009

Evening all,

so I have started the replacement of the rear bearings and have run
into several "concerns" to whit:

1.	The hub nuts are beat to caca but come off just fine with a chisel,
better to have some new ones yes?

2.	No and I mean NO oil came out of the housing when I removed the
axle.  This is bad yes?

3.	I notice play when spinning the wheel by about 1/8", I turn the
wheel that far before it "catches" and the wheel on the other side
starts to spin.  Is this normal?  Should I drop the rear axle and
torque the pinion nut?

4.	The new bearings have play in them side to side until I put the
axle back in, is this normal?

5.	The "O" ring on the hub is covered by the paper gasket, this
doesn't make sense, should the paper be cut back so that the "O" ring
is in the groove on one side and hitting the metal on the other side?

6.	There are several markings cast into the axle, how do I tell if I
have the "good" ones?

Sorry to ask all the questions but all of my work has been on front
wheel drive cars so this is all new to me.

Thanks as always,

Lester

.. NB  SAAB transmission seal drivers are the perfect size for the
inner seal and bearing for the rear axle of the Bugeye.