[Spridgets] Rear wheel bearing help and Questions..

Kitterer Bob bkitterer at mac.com
Sat Mar 14 21:59:03 MST 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Lester wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> so I have started the replacement of the rear bearings and have run
> into several "concerns" to whit:
>
> 1.	The hub nuts are beat to caca but come off just fine with a
> chisel, better to have some new ones yes?

YES

> 2.	No and I mean NO oil came out of the housing when I removed the
> axle.  This is bad yes?

do you mean bone dry or just no oil came out  - If the car is at an
angle where the oil goes to the other end and you remove only one
axle then there should be no oil.  It may only mean that the diff.
oil is low.

> 3.	I notice play when spinning the wheel by about 1/8", I turn the
> wheel that far before it "catches" and the wheel on the other side
> starts to spin.  Is this normal?  Should I drop the rear axle and
> torque the pinion nut?

Does not sound like a problem to me.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition