[Spridgets] Question Re. Pertonix Models

JLC breton48 at live.com
Wed Mar 18 09:45:53 MST 2009

Kirk,

I have had a Pertronix, first issue, since March 2003 in my Lotus Seven.
Still there, still working. On my Bugeye, I did fry the first one I had, but
that was most likely due to me leaving the ignition on with the engine not
running, and I fried it in my garage, not on the track. I think the second
version of the Pertronix is immune to that problem.

Seeing that some on this list cannot get more than 20 minutes with a
Pertronix without it failing, I guess I am lucky. I ran about 30
practice/races with the Pertronix in my Bugeye with no problems, and six
years on the road at about 3000 miles per year in my Lotus, again without
trouble.

JLC

Kirk wrote:
Was there an upgrade in the Pertronix series?  I think I recall that mine
was the second iteration of the design?  But not sure. .  might have said
Pertronix II or something like that on the box. . it has been a long while.

I also seem to recall that the earlier versions, if there were earlier
versions, were the ones that had reliability issues?