[Spridgets] value of rebuildable ribcase

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 22:24:50 MST 2009

Marc,

I had a rattling ping on the Midget. Turned out to be an exhaust clamp
rattling on the pipe. It also disappeared with certain engine RPMs because
the resonance changed the vibration of the pipe in the clamp. Look or simple
things before worrying about internals.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Marc <smarc at smarc.net> wrote:

> Uh... thats a frightening thought.... Here's where I convince myself thats
> not the problem since I properly torqued the flywheel bolts and used loctite
> on them...
>
> I'm pretty sure it's either the  throwout bearing or something goofy with
> the pressure plate. I first thought the engine was pinging terribly, until I
> drove past a wall that reflected the sound back to me so I could hear it
> coming from underneath. Which is also when I noticed the slightest pressure
> on the clutch pedal would make it stop rattling.
>
> I'm going to see if I can find a few minutes this week to put it on the
> lift and see if I can see anything though the fork opening... Dont have time
> to yank the motor for probably a couple weeks yet..
>
> Frank wrote:
>
>> Marc wrote:
>>
>>> New pilot bearing (not bushing) was installed.

> --
>
> Marc

Cheers!!
Jim
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough
to take everything you have." - Gerald Ford