[Spridgets] Electronic Ignition

72 Spridget 72spridget at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 05:12:52 MST 2009

> In my case the Pertronix unit was brand new in May of last year. It lasted
> 20 minutes.  I hooked it up according to the instructions. I double
> checked
> it after it failed to be sure I hadn't installed it incorrectly. I hadn't.
> So if the Pertronix is so spiffy, why did mine fail after 20 minutes and
> why
> have a number of other people had the same experience.

And if you had called Pertronix, they would have replaced it for you. Even
if it had been caused by user error. IMHO, the usual reasons for a failure
like this is that either the ignition was left on with the engine stopped
for too long, or else the ground was bad. Please remember that there is no
ground wire on the Pertronix; it depends on the points plate being
adequately grounded. If the braided ground wire is not actually conducting
anything, the only ground it will get is through the mechanical advance and
that is iffy at best. Electrons do not like "iffy" when it comes to power
and ground. Did you verify that the braid was present and functional?
David Lieb