[Spridgets] Differential Rebuild

JMFarley50 at aol.com JMFarley50 at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 09:33:46 MST 2009

I am installing a 3.9 differential in my 1275 Bugeye.  I replaced all  the
bearings and upon re-assembly the pinion bound up with only about 50 lb.ft.
torque applied to the pinion nut.  The spec is 135 to 140 lb.ft.  What  I suspect
is that the old collapsible spacer on the pinion shaft is collapsed  too much
for the new bearings.  I have a new collapsible spacer on the  way.

In looking over the Leyland workshop manual, it says that if the pinion nut
is tightened to the correct torque reading of 135 to 140 lb.ft.,  the
collapsible spacer collapses to give the correct bearing preload.  It also  says that
it will only perform this function once.

I don't want to over collapse this spacer and end up with the pinion  binding
again,  and yet want to have the pinion nut tightened  properly.  Are there
any inputs as to how to accomplish  this?  Should I apply the torque in
increments, working up  to the spec.?  What torque will be required to start the
spacer to  collapse?  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  John
**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)