[Spridgets] Another Crash

David Lieb 72spridget at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:20:31 MST 2009

> I am well aware of the (deserved) reputation of the early Spitfire and its
> rear swing axle as an ill handling car! Later versions were better - I had a
> 1979 Spitfire (with the de-cambered and redesigned rear suspension), and I
> had no complaints. The overdrive made for more relaxed cruising than the
> Midget I had before it, and I actually quite liked both cars. Earlier
> Spitfire versions can be made to handle for the track (autocross and such),
> but I suspect that is by stiffening the rear suspension so much it hardly
> moves!

I have never driven a real Spitfire of any vintage. On the PC version
of the game Classic British Motor Racing, however, I am quite
impressed with its handling. I am also impressed with how good of a
job the software guys did of differentiating between the various cars.
The Mini is unquestionably FWD. The Midget is OK. The Spitfire really
handles too darn well for my dislike of the Triumph marque to
appreciate ;-). Of course, the fact that the game includes TR2, TR3,
TR5, TR6 and Spitfire makes me suspect that the programmer tended to
prefer TRs. At least he did include a Midget as well as an MGA, MGB,
and MG RV8. Yes, there is a Big Healey, too.
David Lieb