[Spridgets] Electrolysis Rust Removal

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Sun Mar 22 12:11:49 MST 2009

>Did you actually try the electrolysis rust removal trick. I'm thinking of using it on my
>BE Grille. It's got some bad chrome and pitting. Want to remove the rust and then
>I'll likely use some Kentucky Chrome on it for now(Chrome paint in a spray can).
>Looking to hear your experience with electrolysis.

WARNING TO ALL:

Chromium is extremely toxic and I don't know how it will respond to this method.  If the surface chrome is an oxide, then elemental chromium certainly will plate out on the sacrificial iron - nasty stuff.  If it is not an oxide, then it might be unaffected, like metallic iron.  Any chemists who can respond?

There is a caution against using stainless steel for the sacrificial plates because of its chromium content.  If anyone find information on treating chromed parts, please let us know.

Yes, I have used this method, and it will take ALL rust off, leaving a gooey black coating to wash off an a pitted surface.  It does not affect metallic iron so you can't over-treat.  Heavier rust takes longer.  The effect is line-of-sight, so you may have to fiddle with locations of the sacrificial iron.  I use four 2' pieces of rebar wired together, and I hang rusted pieces on a wire off a stick across the top of the bucket - red to the rebar, black to the rust.  It couldn't be simpler

Michael Rowe