[Spridgets] Electrolysis Rust Removal

Kevin Valentine kevinv1275 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 19:33:08 MST 2009

On Mar 22, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Michael Rowe wrote:

> Chromium is extremely toxic
>
> There is a caution against using stainless steel for the
> sacrificial plates because of its chromium content.

Michael is correct here!

Using Stainless steel will produce nasty stuff.  I wear rubber gloves
when I use Stainless steel as an anode because you end up with
(poisonous) chromates in your electrolyte.  (Actually, I use gloves
any time I reach into the tanks).

Just for clarification - The gasses produced during electrolysis are:

hydrogen from the cathode (-) (or the part we are cleaning).

And oxygen from the anode (+) (or the sacrificial electrode).

Electrolytic cleaning should be done in a ventilated area.

Kevin V.