[Spridgets] "On the Beach"

Robert Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 1 21:00:43 MST 2009

"The racing sequences were filmed at Riverside Raceway in California. These
scenes include an impressive array of late 1950s sports cars, including
examples of the Jaguar XK150 and Jaguar D-type, Porsche 356, Mercedes-Benz
300 SL "Gullwing", AC Ace, and Chevrolet Corvette."

What the race scenes once again reminded me of is how, even at Riverside, so
many sports car races included plain old "street" cars (as opposed to
race-designed cars).   As well as those mentioned, I also noticed what I
believe were a Saab 93, a TR2 and a Volvo 444.

Although not at Riverside, it was not at all unusual for people to drive
their cars to an SCCA race.  After arriving, they simply began to transform
the car into a race car by removing a seat(s), spare tire, etc.  And then
use masking tape to "protect" the headlights and to put a number on the side
of the car.  In April of 1963, I pitted next to two Corvette drivers who
each had a massive van with tires, parts, and even a drill press and lathe.
When the Gulf Oil Corporation DC 4 flew in to pick up those driver--Jim Hall
and Dr. Dick Thompson, I got the message of a poor sailor's racing days were
numbered.

Buster