[Spridgets] Help - Seemingly Incurable Brake Fade

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:59:48 MDT 2009

Ron & Daniel,

In Daniels test description in the roundabout, I believe what the meter was
measuring was "average G". A meter which could measure "instantaneous G"
would be very expensive if it even exists.  I guess I'm talking theoretical
here.  Too many years of dealing with theoretical sciences and math   ;-)
This is really a scaling discussion.

Ron will certainly understand the non-linear dynamics of forces acting on
this scale. I'm just hypothesizing that "instantaneous lateral G" is capable
of being greater than 1 G. Tire traction not withstanding.

When we bring tire traction into the equation we would also have to look at
surface interface conditions - different road surfaces - different traction
limits  ;-) I suspect that published lateral G ratings for tires are also
"average" and not instantaneous.

Ron - instantaneous or "Shock" forces should fall into the realm of
turbulence, yes?

Von Karman said it best; "After I die I expect God to clarify general field
theory for me. I have no such hope for turbulence."

Fun to speculate.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Ron Soave <soavero at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 10/5/09, Jim Johnson <bmwwxman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyway, its an interesting engineering problem.
>
> There was a "Classic Motorsport" issue a while back that had Brian Redman
> in a Porsche 917 or Chevron B or similar and also in a race prepped Sprite
> on the track. I think it had all the G-force data for the Sprite. Anyone
> have it handy? I would be stunned if a street Sprite got anywhere near 1G.
> When the g-forces are instantaneous, that is what engineers like to call
> "shock". We just call it "expensive".
>
> Ron

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein