[Spridgets] 1275 questions..

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Fri Aug 20 01:07:19 MDT 2010

  On 8/19/2010 9:43 PM, Bill L wrote:
> Hello Spridgets,
Hi. This is a 1970 Midget. I'm kind of a slow typer, so I'll let my
owner's dad do the answering.....

This is going to start a car discussion. Is that still allowed?
>    A 1275 is falling into my lap and I have a couple of questions.. it
>    is described as..."sans damper pulley and induction system", and..is
>    said to have a "smog head"...
First of all, I suggest you have them put it on the garage floor. Having
it land in your lap from almost any distance is sure to give you at
least one broken leg.
>    can I take the exhaust manifold off the 1098 (big mains) or will I
>    have to use one from a 1275 and thus replace my exhaust pipes?
I think you'll be fine with your present exhaust system. Moss shows the
same parts for both engines.
>    can I take the stock carbs off the 1098 and do a direct transfer, or
>    am I better off finding a set from a 1275?
The 1275 needs different needles and piston springs. If you replace
these with the correct ones, you can transfer the carbs.
>    are there any caveats to using the "smog head" or should I be
>    looking for another one?...
The smog heads have ports for an air injection manifold that you
probably don't have or want. You can put 7/16" (?) fine thread set
screws in there and the head will work fine.
>    I already have the 1275 flywheel modified for the datsun tranny, so
>    that's no problem... ....
>
>    the engine "is said to have been running" when the present owner
>    acquired it...... ....
>
>    comments?  tips?
I'd make sure it hasn't seized up before going too far.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose