[Spridgets] 1275 head thickness

brian S bugeye15 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:54:58 MST 2010

Thanks for the tips Ron,

I'm not sure of the chamber volume. I'll have to break out a syringe and see.

It appears to be a pretty closed chamber head, as they are definitely smaller
than

the ones one the early 1098 head on a spare engine I have.
According to Vizard, via Michael Rowe, ( thanks!)

the 12g940 head has 21.4 cc chambers, stock and
the 12g295 head has 28.3 chambers stock.

I have no idea what the previous owner was using for pistons, but I'm
guessing

flattops. To be streetable, I would think that dished pistons would be the way
to go,
along with a a possibly thicker head gasket.

Would you think that with that much cut off, that custom length
pushrods would be necessary also?

I'll try and measure the chambers and let everyone know.
i personally haven't run this head on an engine.

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!

> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:14:29 -0800
> From: soavero at yahoo.com
> To: spridgets at autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1275 head thickness
>
> > Too radical for a street head? Has been ported, intake and
> > exhaust, not
> > sure if the combustion chambers have been shaped.
> >
> > Any way to make it usable for a street car?
>
> Too high a CR for the street as it is. What are the chamber volumes? It
would be unusual for the head to be shaved so much with the stock dish on the
pistons - what are you using vs. previous owner? The easiest way to drop the
compression is to get a custom thickness head gasket, www.headgasket.com. I
have one here at .100 that came with a radical head someone gave me. Morty has
a great reputation - I had a bad experience with him, but seem to be the only
one.