[Spridgets] Top/Header Rail question

Frank spritenut at comcast.net
Wed Feb 17 15:02:40 MST 2010

Jay wrote:
> Use standard pop-rivets, probably 1/4". Just drill-out the old ones and don't
> worry about them. In my experience, they didn't make any noise.
>
> One comment though. While installation of these convertible tops is very
> doable, I would consider buying a new one since they can be a little tricky,
> and definitely tedious to install. I would also do it in a warm garage and
> make sure your top is warm so that you get a good fit after the material

Not to contradict what Jay says but I have learned to install the top on
a chilly day.
I used to do the hot day top install but then along comes winter and
when I go to put the top up, it doesn't fit and I have to fight with the
side snaps because the top was all warm and loose when I installed it
and now it shrunk with the cold.
Now it may look a bit loose in the summer but who has the top up in the
summer?
And in those pop up thunderstorms, I don't have to fight with the top,
everything snaps up as it should.

The rivets are standard 1/8 inch pop rivets. Use a 1/8" drill to drill
out the old and replace them with aluminum pop rivets or #6 x 3/8 sheet
metal screws.
As for the rivets left in the header, if you can hear em, you have
fantastic hearing or a quiet muffler.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ