[Spridgets] NO LBC "CAT FROM HELL"......have fun with cat stories.

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 05:04:17 MDT 2010

List,
I don't recall which Spridgiteer  got bit by a ferel cat a year or 2 ago and
his arm swelled up like a balloon but I did keep his nightmare in my head
for my similar episode yesterday. I was on my way to Michigan to visit the
in-laws and had to drop off my 2 older cats to my brothers to watch because
the one needs pills 2 times a day for thyroid tumors. We took the long way
out to paddle our kayaks in the finger lakes of upstate New York and get a
vacation before the visit when I get a desperate phone call from my brother.
He said the cats pulled the heating ducts out in the room they stayed in and
are trapped in the ducts. He said the healthy kitty BB who is tiny and thin
would be in the room when he entered and then she would go back in the duct.
I had to drive back from NY State 5 hr drive immediately to find BB in the
duct and the sickly Calico cat Stitches MIA. BB comes out with a little
trouble but sick Stitches isn't even heard meowing. At this point I'm
desperate because my brother lives in a trailer and I was afraid it would
get hot and without meds she would die.

I crawl under the trailer and find the duct too small for any cat but pulled
from the opening and the cat roaming free or shall I say escaped. No biggie
I just call for her, and post photos, and look all night for 2 nights but to
find 24 or more kitties in the trailer park. I set a Have-A-Heart trap in my
brother spare room with the vent still open but to catch a strange kitty
that a previous ower in the Trailer Park left behind after moving. I let him
go and try again. After hearing a story that a neighbor burried a cat that
was run over the day before I am desperate to find Stitches even thinking
she was that kitty although she is very skidish and weird often not coming
to you when outside I expected she would not be near moving cars. Then
Sunday night I find her behind my brothers trailer I call her and I move in
closer I actuall get to pet her once or twice but she now moves under the
oil tank.

I think by the title you know where this is going.

I am tired, and bit pissed that I ruined my trip and my partners trip and
Stitches is not on meds which could kill her in time but most of all I am
impatient. So I bring her a can of cat food. she leans over for a sniff but
backs away. Now I can't tell you how angry I am and surly she could sense
the anger and impatience. So I lean in a little more with the cat food and I
am in arms reach, I grab her while she is under the tank by the scruff of
the neck and hold on for dear life,..............she screams as though being
bit by a dog and flips out most likely the closed space freaks her out that
much more and she BITES me in the wrist a hair from veins and arteries. I am
pissed and give up for the night sleeping out in the tent I brought with me,
my dirty tee shirts sprawled about for her to know I am there although at
this point she is the lucky one NOT to be captured by me. She is currently
living under the trailer and I went to the hospital the next morning with a
swollen throbbing wrist. Because her rabies vaccination had expired one year
ago due to my laziness I had to get rabies shots. I was so delirious because
I couldn't sleep I cried at the emergency room like a big baby so don't
spread that around ; )  The shots weren't horrible but I had about 10 shots
total and an IV that hurt like hell (nice nurse who shouldn't be giving
IV's) and the most painful besides the IV were all the shots in the bitten
wrist area but the doctor tried her best to cause the least amount of pain.
I have to get more shots over the next 4 weeks and I'm hoping I can get them
in New Mexico which is where I'll be visiting family in weeks to come.
Thankfully my California trip the week prior will be shot free.

I'm going back to try the trap under the trailer and need other suggestions
to catch Stitches the CAT FROM HELL.

BTW I spent 6 hrs in the emergency room.
Linda