[Spridgets] Fiberglass question

charles christ crusaderchuck at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 19 21:18:53 MDT 2011

ok , i'll chime in here.   i do some fibreglass work (have two tvr vixen
bonnets
here now) ( i also have a fiberglass bodied sports racer) .    i have
some of
the elusive vintage release agent that was sprayed on and  did in
fact release a
clean piece of cured 'glass.   but due to federal regulations
, those that "hug"
trees , and the few that still "save the whales" this
stuff is now
"unobtanium".   try plastic shrink wrap or duct tape as the
release agent.
while both give some wrinkles (like i'm not getting some at
this point in life?)
they do let the catalised plastic go easier than most
other release agents.
spray cooking stuff?   dear lord what ya thinking?
 yer using grease or oil to
release the part you might want to paint a
color?   paint does not like to stick
to oil or grease..right?  and if it
combines with the uncured plastic ...how do
ya get rid of it in order to get
a finish to stick to it?   ummm...you do not!

the very last alternative is
to find a local boat yard that does 'glass  molds
and ask them to shoot your
piece for you.   you might find it very suprising how
friendly others who are
into 'glass are when you have a genuine project.  ;)
i had the doors for my
sports racer made by a local company that makes the fiero
to ferrari gt40
panel kits.

be repared for one suprise on fiberglass world.  the color of
the gell coat.  if
you are not particular it's not of importance.  they will
just shoot your piece
in the beginning or end of their run.   if you insist
on a specific base gel
coat color that will cost you!  me , the color if the
finished inside has no
matter  in the reflected exterior finish.  so call me
"cheap"  or as frank would
say "we broke".

chuck