[Spridgets] Zombie Ammo

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 22:24:37 MDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM, derf <derf247 at gmail.com> wrote:
40s are a little too snappy for me.  I prefer a good ole 9mm.  I dunno
who starter the rumor that a 9mm is not a powerful round but they were
mistaken.
The DOJ (federal dept of justice) studied shooting incidents all over
the country after many PDs switched to 9mm pistols. Their conclusions,
based on actual shoots, were that on average, it took 9 rounds fired
to incapacitate the suspect. They did offer the opinion that with 15
plus shots available, many officers were shooting wildly instead of
careful, aimed shots. Another point that they made was on the RII
(relative incapacitaion index) the 9mm did not perform as well as
expected. Over-penetration and lack of expansion were cited as causes
for the performance issues. 9mm Luger (or Parabellum) in stock trim is
a healthy round that packs a punch if it hits something solid!

In short order, the 40 S&W and 10mm came to be. They were seen as an
"in between" to the 9mm and .45 caliber. They were never reviled by
the public as the .357 magnum and .44 magnum were. Back in the day
when the Cincinnati PD went from .38s to .357s, the black community
decried it as a move to kill black people! I worked in a small
suburban PD and carried a .44 mag without the hassle...

I switched to a semi-auto when my kids got big enough to pull the
trigger on a wheel gun. My thought was they would not be able to slam
a clip in, jack it, push the safety off and pull the trigger to get it
to fire in the event that they got their hands on my gun. If you're
not going to carry it around, especially concealed, a large bore
revolver does fine for home protection. Early on, I kept a .38 snub
nose at home for my wife loaded with shotshells. I told her just to
point it in the general direction of the bad guy and pull the
trigger... The shotshells would do the rest!
-
Kent
1960 Bugeye
1983 Garage full of spridget parts!
2010 Arrow shed full of excess spridget parts!!!