[Spridgets] Where were you when the LBC bug got you?

Guy R Day grday at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 27 07:50:06 MDT 2011

I had a liking for the simplicity and ease of repair to the BMC A series
engine together with the modifications that made it into a decent small
power plant for quite a while before bug-eyes got to me.  Some 30 odd years
ago I was driving across a roundabout on a Motorway (Freeway) junction when
I saw an Austin Healey Sprite broken down on the shoulder.  Being a helpful
guy (and seeing the rather tasty looking girl with the car) I stopped to
offer help.  It was only then I saw her boyfriend appeared from under the
hood (big, very big, like a cross between a weight lifter and a large rugby
player) who heard me offer help and he said, "You can't fix it, nobody can,
I have tried and it can't be done.  I've called the AA out."  Five minutes
later the car was running after the ground (earth) lead in the distributer
was repaired.  Boyfriend sat in the car with the door firmly closed, a face
like thunder and looks that were shortening my life span but the angel in
human form gave me her telephone number.  To cut several months out that
have nothing to do with the love of motors, the car became mine and life
moved on with fond memories.  It was a daily driver for many years and is
now the donor car for the partially completed transplant to a new shell.
But that is another story that will not develop until after my father-in-law
dies.

Guy R Day