[Spridgets] Power to fuel pump

Hal Faulkner frog.aye at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:35:03 MDT 2012

While it MAY be that header wrap can exacerbate manifold corrosion, the
"'heat cycle'" definitely does not make water.  Water is made by the
chemical combination of hydrogen and oxygen.  I would postulate that the
accelerated corrosion is, in part, caused by water trapped in the heat wrap
that is somehow prevented from evaporation-- perhaps by a sealant applied
over the wrap.  However, if your gaskets are good there will be no way for
the exhaust gasses-- which can be corrosive, including among other things
carbolic and/or carbonic acid-- to get into the wrap.  Holding the heat in
the manifold longer could increase the activity of the corrosive components
of the exhaust gasses and this would, as ED suggests cause corrosion from
inside out.
Hal