[Spridgets] Wheel Spacers- Front AND rear?

CosmicMag1380 cosmicmag1380 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:44:31 MDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Mark Haynes <haynes386 at netzero.net> wrote:
Now that I've got 185/60-13s on the MKII, even with the offset springs in
the back I need wheel spacers to get the tires to center in the wheel well
(Japanese rims). If I put wheel spacers behind the rears, should I also
space out the fronts, or will it make no difference.I'm thinking that if
the rear track is wider than the front, then it may make the steering
heavier. Or am I just overthinking the whole thing (as usual)?
Probably overthinking it some... Do you have disk brakes on the front? If
so your front width may be a bit wider now than the rear anyway. I know
that when you convert from front drums to disks, the track changes to a
little bit wider. I don't know if this was engineered out when the front
disks came on the cars from the factory. If you have the 1/4 elliptic rear
springs, probably not.

Have you measured the track both front and rear? I had to space out the
fronts due to the tire size (205/60/13) rubbing when the wheels are at full
lock in either direction. Your tires probably won't rub without spacers. I
needed them on the rear to clear the springs. I'm running 1/2 inch spacers
and also had to put in longer studs.

--
Kent
1960 Bugeye