[Spridgets] One that got away

Tncarnut1 tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 11:14:38 MDT 2014

There are a few I probably should have gone for, but two that really stand out. First one was when I was just after my first year of college, 1977. Quite literally a "little old lady that drove it to church on Sundays" car. 1964 Falcon Futura convertible. 6 cylinder, A/T, aqua blue, white top. Ridiculously low miles & crazy low price. Such a pretty car. My dad wouldn't let me buy it because all I wanted to do was flip it. He was so against spending money on speculation like that. Even though I had the cash in the bank at the time. I thought hard about buying it anyway, but didn't really want to cause that much strife as I lived at home with them during the summers.

Second was in maybe 1985. A relatively new beautiful black 944 with a blown engine. I had the chance to buy it for $1,500. Black leather interior. A gorgeous car. Wanted to buy it & drop in a SBF I had laying around. No idea if it would have fit, but I sure wanted to try. Unfortunately, I was out on my own by then & would have had trouble laying hands on $150 at the time. Could not find the money anywhere, nobody would loan on a non-running car either. Probably for the best, since I barely made enough money to keep the hotrod Scirocco on the road at the time. I sure wanted it, though.B

David Booker

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Nelson Wittstock <k8djc at zoominternet.net> wrote:

Back in 1962 I was in England enjoying driving my new Sprite.B  Then I found
out about a chance to enhance its performance.B  I drooled over advertising
that was being done by Jack Brabham.B  For the expenditure of $1000 he would
install a Coventry Climax engine inB  my Sprite.B  The thought of having a
high performance engine was intriguing.B  Then reality set in.B  I had paid
$1300 for my Sprite while my Air Force pay check was about $200 a month.B  A
thousand dollars would have been a big bite.B  I also considered problems I
would have with maintenance when I went back Stateside.B  Ultimately I didn't
pursue the possibility but I still wonder what it would have been like to
drive a car with that power plant.

spridgets at autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75