[Spridgets] Gas Tanks

Greg Higgins higgs6 at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 18 08:27:59 MDT 2014

I bought one of the new gas tanks without the drain plug  several years ago.
I ended up using the old drain plug from my old tank. I used a cold chisel
to chop the old one out. With the plug locked in the vice, a little bit of
heat from a map gas torch, the metal around the plug peels off. I used a
step drill bit to drill the hole 5/8" in the tank then soldered in place,
the job took about an hour.

For a new bugeye gas tank, I used the steel filter tube from the old tank I
just cut it off, I cut the flange off about 1/4" from the new tank, it
leaves you about an inch and a half of metal to work with. I took the tank
and filler tube to a local muffler shop, the end of the filler tube was
stretched to fit over the male piece from the tank, the shop charged me
$10.00 it took 2 minutes. I dry fitted the tube and the tank and soldered
it. No leaks. For safety, I filled both tanks with water over several days,
just to be on the safe side.

Greg Higgins