[Spridgets] Engine knock

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Fri Jan 16 09:07:11 MST 2015

I am finally getting around  to looking at the 1098 engine I pulled from the Holy Sprite because it was  making fatal knocking noises somewhere in the rear.  (Note that this does not mean that the @#$% new  engine has started!)  I thought that it might be inadequate torquing and/or a broken bearing.  There are no pieces in the pan.  Maybe a bent valve shaft.

The valve cover and pan are  off, and I  can easily turn the engine over with a wrench.  I find nothing obviously loose or otherwise amiss.  It does not rattle when turned sharply back and forth.

Is there something that might knock under load when the engine is running well, but not under no load on the stand?  If I take the head off, will valve problems be obvious?

Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite