[Spridgets] Engine Break-in

GUY DAY grday at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 2 17:43:52 MST 2015

Many will disagree with me but some (those with good engines - LOL) tend to agree.  You cannot break an engine in by driving it like you stole it - you can kill it.  For a street motor you want one that has the rubbing surfaces which contain the microscopic peaks and valleys  to be worn smooth gently.  They do not want to be snapped off by revving the engine to its limits using an oil that could be used to dress a salad!  The idea is to smooth things out and when they are, they will last longer, you get more power output after 6 or 12 months, more miles per gallon and an engine that breaks down less. For me, use a straight 30wt oil for around 5 to 600 miles of peaceful driving then drain and flush and change oil filter. Replace with what ever oil you want to use in your little beastie and drive peacefully for another 5-600 or so.  After the oil change you can let the engine rev up to whatever it wants but at no time should you be pushing it at no time should you be using more than 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  Downhill is the time to get the engine to high revs, get gravity doing the work, drop into a lower gear to bring the revs up if you wish.  Make sure you do this, it does need high revs but should not be straining to get them. After your 1000 to 1200 miles you can give it a taste, you can bring that smile up so it just fits between the ears but before then please treat your beastie nicely.If you do this you WILL have a sweet engine that will serve you well for a long time.  The rings will seat properly doing it this way.  I wouldn't used synthetic oils until the 2nd oil change, they are just too darned good for breaking an engine in.The drain and flush and filter change is to get the inevitable metal filings out of the engine.Many will say I'm going over the top in doing all this BUT, all my new engines treated in a similar way have lasted.  ~It is only now, after 2 years my Audi 3 litre diesel V6 is coming good and accelerates well from above the 70+ mark (What me break UK speed limits!!) and my last 1275 is still going strong after 15 years of continuous use.But each to their own, their way may work for them.
Guy R Day