[Spridgets] Handbrake rods + I have nothing to sell! (photo attached)

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 15:22:23 MST 2016

Hi list,

The last will be first etc.  I don't have anything to sell and if I  did I
think the shipping might be excessive.  I think the list/my response  gave a
couple of listers the impression I did when I commented on a previous  post
about a 1275 and box being the best parts etc.

So, onto a brand new question and probably never asked before on the  list.
 I run 8" drums on the rear of my Sprite to balance out the big discs  on
the front and so I can perform 'parking brake turns' when the mood takes
me...  Consequently I also originally had modified handbrake rods to work  with
the 8" drums.  When the holes in the clevis ends was worn more than I
liked and made the cotter pins sloppy I replaced them with new rods.  The  new
rods are for 'unisex' by which I mean they are designed to work with steel
wheel or wire wheel axle casings being adjustable in length.  The  adjustment
is at the drum end by way of the rod being threaded (metric M6 I  think
...) and a threaded clevis fork.  Having recently swapped my  handbrake (photo
attached and yes I realise I need to paint the inside of the  holes black) I
decided to adjust the rods.  One rod wasn't adjust that well  and when I
put the rod in the vice and put a wrench on the nut I sheared the  rod.  OK
new rods on order + an extra long clevis end and an M6 die so I  may be able
to salvage the old rod by threading past the break.

However, it occurred to me that if the rod hadn't rusted the nut wouldn't
have jammed and the rod sheared.  So, I'm pondering making a pair of
replacement rods in stainless steel.  Since this stainless steel isn't to  the ARP
grade of stainless and it is loaded in tension is it likely to be strong
enough?  Probably I'll make a stainless rod anyway and find out.   However, I
figure the standard steel rod wasn't that great a quality of steel  and
yanking on the handbrake and loading the rod in tension ought to not break
even stainless bar, or will it.

Thanks

Daniel