[Spridgets] Cooling fan thoughts

crusaderchuck55 at aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Sat Dec 14 15:59:49 MST 2019

First , thank everyone for positive input on this.I am installing the temp. gauge sender in the cylinder head.   Years ago I had a 1940 Chevy coupe street rod.   It had a Flexilite brand adjustable temperature sensor to turn on the cooling fan.  It's sensor bulb went into a rubber arc'd piece that allowed the sensor to be placed into coolant where a radiator hose slpped onto a hose nipple.   I had it located at the thermostat housing.   I'm leaning towards something like that.   Most modern temperature sensors are designed for 195° as an initial "on" temperature.   Also most I could find at the local junk yard are going to be very modern and the bung they screw into would be a plastic radiator.   I'm using a stock 1275 cross flow radiator.  If I had a decent temp switch ( 180° or lower?) And a copper/ brass bung , I could solder it into the radiator end tank.  Or possibly into the lower coolant cross tube .   Yes I know the hotter coolant is on top not on the bottom.   Possibly on top of the thermostat housing , although the rear of head heater tap is going to be a bypass up to the thermostat housing which may make that casting a bit "busy" for a thermostatic switch mount.  Those cast iron cross flow thermostat housings are awfully heavy and rather thin in the domed area over the thermostat.   I'd use an alloy one of I had one that pointed the right way....  As of this writing I'm committed to using the cast iron one and brazing a 90° fitting on top for the coolant bypass back to the heater port on the head.  I'd love to do it with AN fittings and cool braided hose , considering the "we tight" budget , that's not happening.   My radiator guy is 1.5 hours away and he might have a copper or brass bung ( he must have 500+ junk radiator that he uses for pieces to modify radiators for customers) but too far to drive on a gamble.  I could shop old foreign cars in our local pick-N-pull ( our "breakers") and test them for what temperature they make contact to close a circut.  Somewhere I remember the old VW's ( rabbit & Scirocco days) had pretty reliable sending units.   I need to do some research looking into early electric cooling fan system operating temperatures or pressures ( higher pressure systems traditionally were higher temperature systems from past experiences).More to come as I get more input.ChuckSent from my LG Mobile