[Spridgets] Electric fan Control

Weslake1330 weslake1330 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 01:45:27 MST 2019

Hi Chuck and list,
FIrstly, I haven't worked out how to remove the footers at the bottom of
Spridgets list e-mail that if you leave it in used to, and maybe stiil
does, prevent your reply reaching the list.  So this is a cut and paste and
that creates a second thread, sorry about that.
On the Sprite's new alloy radiator the other year I drilled and then had
welded a metric weld bung so I could fit a modern screw-in thermostatic fan
switch.  The fan still switches on using my manual switch but if I forget
to switch it the thermostatic switch does the job.  Well sort of.
I couldn't get a switch to come on at as low a temp as I wanted.  Even
then, it doesn't switch on at that temp but at a higher one.  I'm guessing
the difference is between the radiator temp and the cylinder head temp (the
latter being higher).  I have a different Stack coolant gauge in the Sprite
to the previous one (it died of old age) and this one doesn't have the
facility to switch anything which would have been the way to (it takes a
lot of book sales to buy a Stack gauge!).
If you're on a tight budget go to a bone yard/scrap yard and salvage a temp
sending switch and use it on whatever rad your Sprite has.  You should
still be able to wire in a manual override switch.  Kenlowe fans have the
same thing but I never used their sender and gave away my only spare a
while back.
Regards
Daniel

crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets
13 Dec 2019, 20:11 (12 hours ago)
 to spridgets at autox.team.net, EasternOshitGroup at groups.io
Anyone have a used electric fan adjustable temperature device to turn an
electric fan on?
Embarassing truth!  ( this is why the request!)
At VIR a number of years ago I was doing support for a friend doing the
SVRA DOP with his Saab he has hillclimb'd but never road raced.  He got
into some interesting competition on course and did not watch his
temperature gauge.    Never turned on the cooling fan and blew a solid
copper head gasket and warped the head on a very expensive and high strung
engine.   That mistake gave way to my friend quitting racing due to the
rest of the internal engine damage and the cost of rebuilding that specific
motor.
All that told , there is no way I want to hurt the Midget .   Everyone has
put so much into this car's build , I can not begin to imagine making that
mistake and hurting the car at its first outing.   I'm fully capable of
embarrassing myself in other ways....😉
Chuck
Like not knowing my navigator at a LBC rally was a MINISTER until AFTER the
rally!   Oooh the stuff I did and said......😇 .  probably the only time he
tore up a golf course doing a doughnut in the grass.....I think it was a
golf course.....😉