[Spridgets] Trunk lid hinges ?

crusaderchuck55 at aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 00:02:51 MDT 2020

Try to not ramble..too much.Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid was not bolted on the hinges.  I simply put it on the car and it fit all the way around with no high or low spots.  Fast forward.  Painted the car with trunk lid off & painted the lid separately.    Paint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstrip on the body .   close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on the left side.  Today I had the car outside and I was checking my completed work on the fabrication and installation of the fuel cell and noticed something I never saw before.  The left hinge is shimmed which would move it downward .   I never saw a spridget trunk hinge shimmed.   Now I am wondering if it needs more shims to drop the left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before being bolted to the hinges.   Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge before?Yes the car has the telescopic support.  And up to today I had guessed I have a bent car from someone trying to close the trunk lid without releasing the support.  Now after seeing the left hinge shimmed , I am wondering if it's a shim problem not a bent car body or trunk lid.1 more thing!  The lid that is on the car is not the lid that was with / on the car when Frank bought it.  That lid had too much damage to attempt using.   Thoughts?  Ideas?   It would be nice if the left side of the lid sat down like it did before I bolted it to the hinges....ChuckSent from my LG Mobile