[Thicko] Toly Arutonoff injured

JohnD johnsfolly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 08:37:38 MST 2011

Vintage racer and Hallet owner, Toly Arutonoff, was hit by a car on the side
of the interstate in Texas while attempting to aide a stuck driver in a
blizzard.
Some of you may know him.

This is from the Facebook page of his wife, Karen:
(www.facebook.com/karen.arutunoff)

Prayers=Miracles, God's way of saying I'm here and I love all my children as
if each was an only child. I have now spoken with the attending physician
and the good news is Toly is stable, talking. His right leg is gone and his
left is shattered. They have not attended to the left leg in light of the
trauma of the accident. They are keeping a close eye on him for any changes
in intensive care as it has only been a matter of hours since the accident
and he has multiple injuries. His blood pressure is good, pulse good,
kidneys not good. Seems he was parked on the side of I40 in Amarillo in the
blizzard helping a man whose car had spun out and was stuck. Another car
came along and T-boned an exposed Toly and drove off. Because of the cold
the blood loss was not as severe as it could have/should have been. The leg
was instantly gone. The only surgery that was performed was to close the
wound. Amarillo is closed for business due to the blizzard but a prayer team
from a church in Texas is going to the trauma center to be with him. Another
Amarillo angel is going to Best Buy and getting a cell phone so I can speak
to him. He thinks I am his girlfriend. Can't remember being married when
questioned. I have chosen to be flattered. This is long road we are on but I
will get to Amarillo w Trace as soon as the weather allows. God has already
gotten us this far. I know he will take us the rest of the way. Bless you
all. Your prayers produce miracles. Please don't stop!

Here's the latest from Karen's Facebook page
(www.facebook.com/karen.arutunoff):

>From last night: <<We are life-flighting Toly to OU Medical Center tomorrow
where a crack team of orthopedic trauma surgeons awaits. We are blessed to
have found an Olympic Team doctor there who specializes in prosthesis. So
many have helped make this happen but none more than you and your prayers
which guide us constantly toward making good/right decisions. Still need you
more than ever, Karen>>

Another snippet:

>From 2 hours ago: <<Toly is being life-flighted today from Amarillo to OU
Medical Center in Oklahoma City where a team of orthopedic surgeons await.
They will try and keep him stable in ICU before attempting to repair the
remains of his right leg and save the left leg and foot. He is not out of
the woods but we have gone this far. God is good.>>

This is all I know right now. Keep the big guy in your thoughts and prayers.
Very typical of him to have been helping a stranded motorist in a blizzard.

John Deikis
--
www.johnsfolly.webs.com
*Racing in the Past Lane!*