[Tigers] Ford Crate Engine Installation

Tom Hall modtiger at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 13:18:21 MDT 2007

A little refinement on John's comments:

>The Ford Motorsport 302 with GT-40 heads is a great choice. There are no
>header issues. The ports are in the same location as the 260.

The bolt locations are the same but the GT-40 ports are a lot
different than the early engines.  Cat headers are matched to the
FelPro 1415 header gasket and will require some "dressing" to fit the
GT-40 ports.  All do-able, but important if you want the best
performance.  Other headers are likely to have similar fitment situations

>You should ;
>     *   replace the front serpentine accessory drive with the "V"
> drive. This
>will  require a earlier 289/302 front cover drilled for the dip stick.

The Motorsport engines are now being delivered with a front cover
that is useable in a Tiger.  It has the dipstick hole for the front
sump (requires a replacement pan and pickup) and you can remove as
much of the extraneous crank trigger/timing casting as you like.  It
accepts the Edelbrock pump and has an external front seal.  You need
to find TDC and make a pointer system to time the engine.

>     *   Use a later 302 balancer that is machined back to allow the proper
>location of the stock 260 crankshaft pulley.

There are several aftermarket mfg of 3 bolt 50 oz balancers to allow
the use of the Tiger pulley.  Double check the pulley fit on the
damper as I've gotten mis-machined one before.

>     *   Buy a good high flow water pump, like the Edelbrock with the drive
>flange pushed back about 7/16 inches and the shaft shortened for radiator
>clearance.

Don't forget the 1" OD ring to center the pump pulley.  Do not depend
on the centering provided by the 4 bolts.  The Edelbrock pump has a
stepped shaft when you push the flange back.  Remember to remove the
back of the pump and back up the center shaft before pushing it back
in a press.

>     *   Plug the side dipstick hole and the EGR ports in the heads. There is
>a kit  for the ports.
>     *   You will need a 6 bolt flywheel housing and a good clutch. There are
>lots  of options available.
>Installing a good wide ratio T-5 five speed at this time is a great  addition
>but that is another whole subject.
>
>John Logan

You will also need a steel gear on your distributor to match the 302
roller cam material.  Using the cast iron gear could be an expensive mistake.

Tom Hall
tigerengineering.net