[Tigers] clunker program

Stephen Waybright gswaybright at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 5 10:58:03 MDT 2009

It's too bad the CARS program didn't allow the option for lower income folks with really bad clunkers (and who can't afford a used or new car even with the deal) to do an even trade for one of the better program vehicles before it was destroyed. I know CARS feels good to the folks who got to participate (many of whom I know didn't need the HUGE subsidy and were planning to buy a car anyhow) and it plays well in the press, but I see it as a grossly inefficient and largely ineffective program. It ultimately padded dealer margins more than anything. I would have liked to see something like payroll incentives for companies that rehired people they had laid off, though my judgment on that may be blurred since I joined the ranks of the recently unemployed in July.

"Hoping to find my next tech-product exec position before I have to sell my Tiger",
Stephen Waybright