[Tigers] Ignition

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Mon Aug 13 18:00:14 MDT 2012

Jeff
	I'm not an electrical guy either but maybe I can give some help.

	There is a starter relay in the circuit.   "Starter engaging for 2-3
seconds to long" would indicate something happening at or with the starter
relay or starter.  Generally when you turn the key to start you will hear
the starter relay click if the starter does not turn.   Dead and black would
seem to indicate a dead short at the starter relay or the starter.  I would
also think that something in the system is getting hot if it is shorting the
battery.

	The starter relay is located below the brake booster with 2 small
wire connector and 2 heavy gage wires - 1 from the battery and 1 to the
starter; not easy to work on due to it's location.

	First go to Tigers United or the shop manual and find the correct
wire diagram for you car; so you know which color wire goes where.

Always check the battery condition and battery cable connections

Check to make sure all the wire are connected at the ignition switch

Check all wires connections visually and with just your hand at first to see
if anything is loose - use tools as required when you find a poor connection

Starter Relay:

Check the 2 small wires for corrosion and contact - if bad, clean the
connections

Check to see if the 2 heavy wires are tight - you need 2 wrenches for the
inner and outer nut on each stud - if you use just one wrench you can easily
twist and shear the stud off which mean new starter relay.

Check to see if the wire at the starter is tight and making go contact.

There should be a ground strap from the engine to the frame - this is the
chassis ground for the engine - make sure it is there and in good condition
otherwise the clutch system will become the ground path and possibly glow
red hot.

Hopefully you just have a loose connection somewhere.

Ron Fraser