[Tigers] good 289 for a rebuild?

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Sat Aug 25 14:49:06 MDT 2012

Tom
	It is always best to have the Block casting number which is above
the starter.  The second set of numbers there is the date code also good
information.   The block casting number will tell  you immediately what
block you have and what year it is.

	I'm conducting a Original Tiger Engine Study with respect to the
Ford casting numbers and date codes.  I will gladly help you with any those
number to determine exactly what you have for an engine.

	Personally I see no reason not to rebuild the 260 block unless it is
totally shot.  I know many people look at the 164 HP spec for the 260 and
immediately want to upgrade to the 289.   The 164HP rating only applies to
the early 260 with small intake valves.   The later 260 with larger intake
valves was never rated by Ford but I'm sure it is in the 185 HP realm.  Also
Alex Gabbard build up a 260 with a stroker kit and a bunch of other goodies
resulting in around 350 HP, not bad for a 260.

	Yes the 289 could make a good rebuild.  If the intake manifold is
set up for a road draft tube you will need to buy a plate with a threaded
hole for the brake booster vacuum for that location.   If your not going to
use the stock intake manifold then never mind that.  All the parts from the
260 should bold right up to the 5 bolt 289.

Ron Fraser