[Tigers] good 289 for a rebuild?

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 16:01:45 MDT 2012

Ron,

Back several years ago I was considering rebuilding my 260. I was having problems finding oversized pistons, especially any at a reasonable price to go with a rebored block. Is there a good source for them? What about with a higher compression ratio piston? I seem to recall I would have had to have Janes custom make something for me. And they would have been expensive. Compared at least to what I could get readily available for a 289. It just seemed that rebuilding a 289, especially warming it up a bit, would be more cost effective that doing the same thing with a 260 and produce more bang for the buck in the process. I readily admit it was many years ago that I was looking at this.

Would you mind sharing the details on what would constitute a higher HP 260 that was never rated by Ford? I see valve sizes and a 164 HP rating in the shop manual. Would the higher powered 260 you mentioned have the same size exhaust valve as the 289 size in the manual? The manual says the intakes for the 260 and 289 are the same.

Thanks ,

Gene